Emazole Control 20mg Gastro Resistant Tablets
Emazole Control contains a medicine called esomeprazole. This belongs to a group of medicines called ‘proton pump inhibitors’.
They work by reducing the amount of acid that your stomach produces. This medicine is used in adults for the short-term treatment of reflux symptoms (for example, heartburn and acid regurgitation). Reflux is the backflow of acid from the stomach into the gullet (“foodpipe”) which may become inflamed and painful.
This may cause you symptoms such as a painful sensation in the chest rising up to your throat (heartburn) and a sour taste in the mouth (acid regurgitation).
Directions for use:
Adults aged 18 years and over:
- The recommended dose is one tablet a day.
- Do not take more than this recommended dose of one tablet (20 mg) a day, even if you don’t feel an improvement immediately.
- You may need to take the tablets for 2 or 3 days in a row before your reflux symptoms (for example, heartburn and acid regurgitation) get better.
- The treatment length is up to 14 days.
- When your reflux symptoms have completely gone, you should stop taking this medicine.
- If your reflux symptoms get worse or do not improve after taking this medicine for 14 days in a row, you should consult a doctor. If you have persistent or longstanding, frequently recurring symptoms even after treatment with this medicine, you should contact your doctor
Taking this medicine:
You can take your tablets at any time of the day.
You can take your tablets with food or on an empty stomach.
Swallow your tablets whole with a drink of water. Do not chew or crush the tablets. This is because the tablets contain coated pellets which stop the medicine from being broken down by the acid in your stomach. It is important not to damage the pellet
Do not take Emazole Control
- if you are allergic to esomeprazole or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed below)
- if you are allergic to similar medicines with active substance names ending in –prazole (e.g. pantoprazole, lansoprazole, rabeprazole, omeprazole)
- if you are taking medicines containing the active substance nelfinavir, a medicine to treat HIV infection. Do not take Emazole Control if any of the above apply to you. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Emazole Control. Warnings and precautions Talk to your doctor before taking Emazole Control:
- if you have jaundice (yellowing of skin or eyes) or severe liver problems • if you have severe kidney problems
- if you have had a stomach ulcer or stomach surgery in the past
- if you have been taking treatment continuously for reflux or heartburn for 4 or more weeks
- if you are aged over 55 years and have new or recently changed reflux symptoms or need to take a non-prescription indigestion or heartburn remedy treatment every day
- if you have ever had a skin reaction after treatment with a medicine similar to Emazole Control that reduces stomach acid.
Tell your doctor before taking this medicine, if: You are due to have an endoscopy or a urea breath test. You are due to have a specific blood test (Chromogranin A)
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicin
− The active substance is esomeprazole. Each gastroresistant tablet contains 20 mg esomeprazole (as magnesium dihydrate).
− The other ingredients are: Tablet core: sucrose, maize starch, liquid glucose, hydroxypropylcellulose, povidone, talc, titanium dioxide (E171), methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer (1:1), glycerol monostearate, propylene glycol, stearic acid, polysorbate 80, simeticone, microcrystalline cellulose, macrogol 6000, crospovidone, silica colloidal anhydrous, magnesium stearate. Tablet coating: hypromellose, macrogol 6000, titanium dioxide (E171), talc, red and yellow iron oxide (E172).
Keep all medicines out the sight and reach of children.
Always consult the Patient Information Leaflet before using this medicine